Sunday 16 December 2018

OUGD601: COP PRACTICAL- Initial Ideas Packaging labels


After deciding to rebrand ‘Magic Lynn’ I felt it was appropriate to start designing. I did this through choosing a set of products that I felt where good to re package and rebrand. These products where: Kitchen bleach/ All purpose surface spray / glass magic spray. I felt this was a appropriate route to go down in terms in initial ideas. I did this through designing the labels on the packaging.  I felt starting with the packaging labels would be good to get a brand aesthetic.

Whilst doing these initial design I experimented. I tried a range of aesthetic techniques, approaching some labels with a more minimalistic approach using simple layout and not overcomplicating the product like a lot of brands in the west already do. I experimented with with a range of colours. Approaching some labels with a bold in your face popping colours whilst other I stayed more reserved using lighter and chalkier and earthy colours. I felt these both worked well but at first I warmed toward the less exciting colours as I found these were already being used across the board and may have a negative impact, making my product fit in with the rest of the shelf. 








Type and language played a massive role in this project. I wanted to easily communicate that these are Japanese products. I felt the most appropriate way of doing this was to have a translation of the product name in Japanese. Hoping that this way the audience could easily connect the product to Japanese routes. Saying this I found it hard to balance this partnership correctly. Getting the proportion in terms of how big to make the different types was not easy. I experimented a range of different sizes to connote the correct message. I found doing these initial labels interesting, working with a completely new language and set of types was fun but challenging. As I can’t understand the language I tried not to alter the type too much to ensure to not change the meaning. 

















I found that whilst doing these designs, the more minimalistic versions where much more successful. I felt this way as, Japanese type fits in well with a simple use of line and shape, as well as leaving enough negative space around the type. Japan is also well known for its minimal design style, helping to relate to Japanese values. During these initial designs I also experimented with a more fun approach. This was influenced by my previous research on Japanese sweets. As Japanese sweets appeal to so many western simply through the aesthetic, I thought this might be a successful route to go in terms of using a bubbly and more childlike pallet. Although these fun bubbly designs had a similar aesthetic to Japanese sweets I didn't feel it was effective enough in terms of the type of image I wanted to created for the brand.













Feedback from Crit:


No comments:

Post a Comment