Sunday 16 December 2018

OUGD601: COP PRACTICAL -Further Developing Packaging Labels


Further Developing  Packaging Labels

I decided to develop this design as I felt it conveyed Japanese values to an extent that it wasn't taking over the aesthetic. To develop this, I thought about ways in which I could manipulate the different parts of the imagery. With the type I decided to keep the Japanese part the same. I did this as it nicely hints the Japanese roots of the brand whilst letting the English type take the main stage. This was bar one variation in which I incorporated a previous style, where I use the Japanese type to create a pattern on the sides of the label. I manipulated the type, rotating, enlarging and centering it to show the different variation and what would be most successful. Doing this allowed me to see that rotating it slightly, was very effective and carries on with the concept of the type looking like its being sprayed onto the label. This works, as it stands out and is still very legible and aesthetically attractive. With other components in the labelling I experimented with different use of line to break up the image and relate to context of the products.

As there wasn't a clear cut style that I liked I felt it was appropriate to start trying these out in real life. I did this through shopping and acquiring a range of different sized bottles. I hadn’t thought to much about the bottle shape as I felt this wasn't my area of expertise, although this was very important when thinking about labels. This lead me onto thinking about the sizing of products in japan.  I had noticed whilst doing my research that there were a lot of miniature things in relation to Japan. Its obviously a trend there, and I have seen similar products from Japan, that are miniature here in the UK. I believe this relates to companies aiming at a market more for an aesthetic that appeals to a consumer that wants to keep the product as a novelty, not necessarily for use. This is done as it could be said these miniaturised things have a very cute look.







After buying this range of bottles and containers, I printed off the labels as stickers in a range of sizes. This gave me a much better understanding of how important this part of branding a products packaging is. I found that not many of labels where successful. I felt this was due the bottle sizes, the majority being to small, meaning the labels where hard to wrap around and still be legible. Although saying this some variation did work I just needed to make some adjustments to the labels sizing and find the exact bottle.






At this point in the project I had a meeting with a tutor discussing the project do far. It was brought to my attention that I had not focused on the actual rebrand of the company enough. I felt this wasn't a problem as I now had an aesthetic to work with due to the creation of the labels for the products. Saying this I made the decision to stop working on the packaging of the product. This was done as I was already at a point where the graphic design involved had reached a good standard. I would be only adapting this through some tiny variations and considering the types of bottle and packaging to use.  



No comments:

Post a Comment