Monday 6 May 2019

OUGD602: PPP - MY WEBSITE AND WHY I TOOK IT DOWN


My website and why I took it down:

In previous years I have tried to make a website and not got very far. This year I was keen on creating an industry level website that I’m really proud of. When creating my website I used squarespace, this immediately put a downer on the process, limiting your choice with templates, although making it accessible to create a website in the first place. I created my website with the work a had at that time. This was the start of my problem, although the outcomes of this work were to a good standard, they weren’t presented to reflect the level of work. There was a lack of consistency in the way the project had been documented, meaning these projects didn't sit together on a page well. I feel this was ultimately the reason for the website not succeeding. Not only this but I knew I had all this work in the pipeline that would mean completing re doing the website. Paying £16 a month for the service and sending out my website to loads of studios I was expecting a much larger amount of traffic to the site. Saying this it got barely any activity and seemed to generate no opportunities in the way of placements of freelance work. This made me make the decision to take the site. This was encouraged by hearing the talk from Regular Practise who highlighted their thoughts that students didn't need to make a website if it wasn't up to standard and lots of time was spent considering it. This hit home with me, and encouraged me to scrap the website and make a portfolio that reflected my work. I want to create a website that can be a beautifully considered piece of design that intrigues and engages the audience. I feel I would wait till later on when I’m finished to create this or wait until I have someone to code me a unique website. As well as this secured a job meaning it wouldn't be necessary as I'm  not looking for freelance work. 

















No comments:

Post a Comment