Sunday 23 April 2017

OUGD401: Idea development


Taking the rebrand forward I needed to think about a slogan that enraptured the green party’s morals, whilst supporting their policies. I mocked up quite a few fraises and liked these the most. I felt ‘uniting for our future’ worked well and was my favourite. 

I then went on to choosing a typeface for the green party. I wanted something that was bold, friendly and modern. I quickly decided that I wanted a sans serif font, creating a less dated and sharp feel. After experimenting I narrowed it down to four choices. They were; Helvetica/ Sathu/ PT Serif Caption/ Circular Std. From these I felt Circular Std worked best, fitting a friendly font with the rounded letterforms. A thick stroke showing strength, and being very easily legible.





After choosing to develop idea three, I wanted to experiment with different ways of cutting and dividing the triangle into the different sections to represent the key policies. I decided to stick with using the triangle for stability whilst also acting as arrow pointing forward and upwards.  At first I attempted to differentiate the different layers through different shades of green. I felt this didn’t work well and some of the logos looked like a fade of colour. I then revisited the ‘what we stand for’ page on the website and decided to use the colour scheme used to represent the different key policies. I felt this worked well and I started experimenting adding text with the symbols. Although I felt the design was clean and strong, it almost felt to easy and as if I could push this concept and create a logo which was more futuristic. As well as appealed to younger audience, as I feel their policies would as well.







After thinking the design could be pushed forward more, I started playing around with repeating the triangle shape to create both an upper and lower case ‘g’. I felt this worked really well, giving the logo a more modern sleek look. I felt the upper case ‘G’ worked better, creating more of an impact. 



Although I still wanted to use the triangles and range of colours to represent the greens policies, I felt the use of sharp edges created a cold feel to the logo. Making it look less friendly. To change this, I decided on making each triangle that makes up the ‘G’ a different sized with curved edges, some even being circles to push the idea of equality. I felt this worked well and gave the logo an even more urban, unique look.





After deciding that I was going to stick to this idea of different shaped triangles and circles, I then played around with the layout of the ‘G’. I decided on keeping each shape touching, not overlapping for clarity. I also felt the logo shouted at the viewer more with the black background, pushing the colour to the front.  






No comments:

Post a Comment