Sunday 28 April 2019

OUGD603: HEINZ BRIEF

Brief: 


In this D&AD competition brief Heinz briefed us, specifically asking our designs should use: the brand tagline ‘It has to be Heinz’ facilitate a conversation between the past and the future. To continue as the most chosen brand, Heinz needs to establish itself as the main event. How can Heinz convince people that their favourite foods can only be enjoyed with their favourite ketchup? Celebrate the 150th anniversary of Heinz, and spark the next 150 years of brand love.


Considerations:
has to represent Heinz well
why Heinz should be an everyday choice 
how has the last and next 150 years included Heinz 
eyecatching and memorable 

Deliverables:
A moving image advert 
Mini design boards for D&AD

Mandatory requirements:
Have to follow Heinz branding guidelines

Research:

To gain inspiration for this project I tried to remember some of my favourite and most memorable adverts. These include the John Lewis Christmas adverts, all telling compelling stories that captivate the audience. Contrasting with others like 118 118 creating a comedic and memorable style of advert.




The Lemon:
This Volkswagen ad from the 1960’s was one of my first sources of inspiration for this project. It immediately jumped out at me purely for how irrelevant a lemon is in comparison to the product. This left me thinking about how I could market Heinz ketchup uniquely and make the consumer remember the advert. 




Red bull adverts:
These contrast with animations which create different moods and can change a concept vibe and aesthetic completely. Red bull has done this over a long period of time. There unique styled adverts bring a good sense of humour matched with a political sketch aesthetic which makes the brand automatically recognisable.




Alessandro Novelli:
These are some stills from one of Alessandro Novelli’s animations. I found whilst researching into animation style. His aesthetic very creative, using a simple yet refined aesthetic, the use of thin white strokes on a black background made the piece stand out and unusual. With great story telling and a good pace to the animation this showed a well thought out moving image piece; clean, concise and individual. 




About the main judge for D&AD:


Ideas:

Initially this brief really appealed to me, not only do I really love the product, but I saw the opportunity the work with moving image. Specifically, I saw this as a chance to shoot a full advert using industry standard equipment. After toying around with a range of ideas, the chosen concept behind the advert was based on ‘a long journey to find Heinz’. This was a brief story board of the basic premise; after making a traditional British breakfast, the character realise he/she is out of ketchup and goes to the corner shop, only to be met by no ketchup again, this then cuts to multiple shots from the same distance of the character walking through different environments and terrains just to get to a store with ketchup stocked. Unfortunately, I was not allowed to rent out the camera equipment; being a gimbal and high quality camera. This completely swayed me of this idea as I only wanted to shoot this if it could be to an industry standard.





Moving on from this, I started thinking more about the tagline Heinz had provided, ‘it has to be Heinz’. This made me start thinking about the everyday things, that we have do as humans of the target market: western consumers. For example brush our teeth, wash our hands etc. Being inspired by the Volkswagen advert I wanted to create a moving image piece that shocked the audience. A lot of things had already been done with Heinz, as the brand is very established. This mad me want to create something that would shock the audience and would stand out in their day, just like the Volkswagen lemon advert had done to me when I first saw it.  Instead of creating an industry level advert using cinematography I decided on playing on the idea of brushing your teeth. This worked well as it's a ritualistic part of your day, just like using Heinz should be a ritualistic condiment placed on the dining table. It also hopefully has an element of humour, that who knows, maybe Heinz will have a toothpaste flavour in 100 years… To execute this idea, I felt it would be to graphic and disgusting using realistic camera. To solve this problem, I felt it could work as a sketchy stop frame animation. To save myself a lot of time, I quickly shot the planned out scenes of the character getting up and doing his normal routine of brushing their teeth.  I then used this as my basis to trace on top of. This saved me a huge amount of time not free hand drawing over 250 frames.



Crit:
After discussing this will class mates, and explaining the situation in regard to not getting the equipment I wanted. I decided that the creating this animation was defiantly a good route to go down. It would give me an opportunity to work with a medium I am very familiar with but having not done much illustration recently, I felt it would be a good project to show how multidisciplinary I am in my portfolio.




















Developing ideas:

When sketching the frames, I wanted a loose feel to the animation and a real sense of movement. I achieved this by being very loose with my drawing and mark making, allowing each frame to look individual and when together creating an engaging animation. I used to red pen within the animation highlighting the ketchup and popping against the monochromatic background. Having shot the scenes on camera, I tried to get a range of angles ensuring the clearest communication of concept. For example, a slow pan in on the Heinz toothpaste scene, ensuring the audience interprets the concept correctly.

4 scans out of 240:


After scans are cropped - couple frames form each scene:















Using the branding guidelines for Heinz, I was restricted to the Heinz typeface. Saying this I did experiment with the kerning between the letterforms and the positioning of the different words. After doing this I kept it simple keeping the tagline on one line allowing the letters to breathe and not changing the kerning much.





Production:

To create the stop frame animation, I had to scan all my drawings and then crop the images all to the same size. To put the animation together I used photoshops timeline tool allow me to create a stop frame animation. I then went on to experiment with how long I wanted each frame to last changing the output time of the final video.



After finalising the animation on Photoshop I then imported it into premiere pro. Here I worked on sound for the animation. This plays a huge role in bringing it all together. Sound plays a crucial role in bringing a moving image piece to life. Here I added sound effects relating to the scenes. These included morning birds, running taps and brushing teeth sound effects. Finally, I added the title credits at the end of the piece pulling it all together.  I didn't overcomplicate these final touches as I wanted the animation to take full attention.




Crit:
After completing the piece I decide to show it to people who hadn’t seen it before. Hoping to get any kind reaction that was out of the norm was the aim. This happened people seemed shocked, a bit freaked out and some very enthusiastic. The biggest positive to take away was everyone trying to dissect what it was about. To me this was perfect, and I knew I had done the job right and the audience who had seen the ad would remember it for the rest of the day, hence Heinz sticking in their head.

FINAL OUTCOME: https://vimeo.com/334519559
FINAL OUTCOME - VIDEO ON USB ASWELL


Evaluation

I was pleased with the outcome of this project. This was the first time creating a stop motion illustrated piece. Although very time consuming drawing over 240 separate images, it was quite a relaxing process, although the scanning and cropping part of the process was very tedious. Saying this I feel my style of sketching was appropriate and and fitting for the application, with loose marks making the piece fluid and working well as an animation. I feel the concept was successful, showing it to peers, they were hopefully engaged and surprised. If I were to take on a similar project again I would potentially experiment with a digital way of creating the animation to cut out the scanning and editing process. Although this did allow me to have the sketched effect. Working to a deadline on this brief and changing the concept quite late on meant I was under time pressure, this works well for me and it was an intense couple of weeks with long late nights sketching. I really enjoyed this project and I felt a sense of nostalgia back illustrating, a skill I used to use more and was encouraged to carry on using through this brief. 


No comments:

Post a Comment